Apr 23, 2014

Digital Assessments

Monday, April 21st I used some after-school time to share some tools for creating digital assessments. One of the great things about being able to use digital tools to assess is the wide variety of methods available for creating the assessments. Here are some more reasons I shared for using digital assessments:





To the last bullet point, I also shared this photo. It's my classroom at my previous school, rearranged for blended learning.  The table islands you see in the middle were set up so that students could take assessments when THEY were ready to take them.

In a 1:1 environment, one of the things you'll notice is that the classroom becomes much more "student centered"; with that comes opportunity to differentiate not only learning but assessing.

If the teacher has a self-paced learning environment for a particular lesson or unit it only makes sense that students, if feasible, should not have to take assessments as before -- all on the same day.  Some students are, after all, ready after 3 days; others not for 6.  So students could sign up to take an assessment when ready and would be asked to take it in my presence in that area.  I planned it so that the first 10 minutes of assessment days in class would be for general questions; then, students with further needs could quietly approach me with their laptops for other questions while I stayed in the assessment area.

Not something a teacher would always have to do, but this kind of flexibility can be great for students and is much more easily achieved in a 1:1 environment.



So here is the list of resources/ links/ notes for what was shared in the session.  Browse below or get your own copy by using THIS LINK




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Questions? Ideas?